Monday 22 July 2013

A Good Deed.

Surprisingly the most important things I've learnt in life aren't from the things I've studied. They don't come from books or the internet. They come from my life's experiences.

I'm going to share one such experience.

This story dates to last year of June, 2012. My family and I moved into our new residence, the house was quite huge, the way we wanted it to be. A few weeks later, we decided to throw a house warming party for our family friends and my friends. The preparations started. The 'catering' part was my responsibility.. Oh how I hated responsibilities.
     Anyway, I ordered lots. From pizzas to burgers to all types of snacks, Indian food and desserts. On the day of the party everybody arrived, had a jolly good time and the party was a success. But there was a lot of food that was left uneaten or rather untouched. It would obviously get stale the next day and me being a picky eater, I wouldn't eat it anyway. So without giving it a second thought, I threw all of it away. Also, I'm a drama queen when it comes to eating. I usually waste so much food that my parents occasionally tell me that "Jyoti dear, the birds eat more than you, no wonder you're so skinny. You shouldn't waste so much food, some people do not even have food to eat." I always shrugged it off & never took them seriously.

The Next Day:
You know how after party scenes are right, especially when it's a house party. The house is a big mess. 
As we were new residents, we didn't have a servant/maid. My mum told me to go inquire with the security personnel so that they could guide me into finding a house help. The watchman said "there's a small village 5 mins from here, you'll have to go there." I thought to myself - damn it, I'll have go to a village now. As it was heavily raining I called up my sister and asked her to accompany me. So with our umbrellas we tread along the potholed pathway in hopes to reach that 'small village.' After, 15 and not 5 mins of walking in the rain, we reached one dimly lit makeshift hut that had a plastic sheet for a door, we asked "anybody there?" A frail woman with a baby in hand came out & angrily said "what do you want?" We explained we stay close by and need house help, she said "come inside, it's raining heavily."

We went in and what I saw was mind boggling, for me at least. It changed my whole perception, not only about my habits, but life.

What I saw was.. There were 2 little girls and 1 boy all aged around 4-9 y/o, they had mud on their bodies due to the rainwater and sludge seeping into their hut, wearing torn ripped clothes, sitting on the damp floor, flies buzzing around them. They were eating nothing but bread. Those 3 kids were sharing 2 pieces of bread. Just 2 pieces, I was stunned, I couldn't take my eyes off of them for a good 5 minutes. Not because they were eating bread or there were only 2 pieces but because maybe, MAYBE it's their LAST MEAL. They have almost nothing to eat today, what's the guarantee that they will tomorrow? I was shell shocked.
   
The woman understood my glances. She exclaimed "we're so poor, we have nothing to eat and not much money left. My husband was a drunkard, he beat me everyday, I could have easily committed suicide but who would take care of my kids? I've run away from him but I've realized I cant take care of them anymore, I can't arrange for food, I'm weak and tired. If I work who will take care of my children?" Tears rolled down as she spoke, i could see the pain and agony in her eyes. I tried comforting her with kind words, but she screamed "I haven't eaten in 2 days" 

Actual image of the location. Picture taken in June, 2012.

I stood quietly thinking to myself and having flashbacks of what I did last night. Then I realized, I had wasted so much food, just because... I could. Where as here, just 10 mins away from me, some one is suffering. Seeing the less fortunate suffer with my own eyes made me curse myself in angst. I was furious with myself.

I told the woman, "I will help you."
Those were like golden words for her.

Her eyes brightly lit up, wiping away her tears she asked "how?" I told her to wait, I told my sister to be with her whilst I go back to get something.

Anxious and repenting all the way back, I got home and narrated the incident to my parents, then they gave me a little lecture on how I'm so fortunate to have the good things in life, a house, loving parents, most importantly - food to eat that I used to abundantly waste. I was literally about to burst out crying.

I suggested them to buy off one of the servant quarters near our building so she could have a permanent house and also work for us. It's not an easy or inexpensive thing to do, as the quarters are allotted only to employees working for the building, by the builder. But, they somehow found a loophole and agreed.

With a huge smile on my face I went back to her with a box filled with goodies to eat, some clothes and good news that has changed her life forever. 

I want to say how mad I am that I didn't realize how important these things were earlier, but I'm grateful that today I can make the necessary changes in my endeavors.

Oh and one more thing, today it has been one whole year that she has been working with us and her children are enrolled in a government school. :)

2 comments:

Hi, your positive and valuble comments make my day. Thank you :) xx